Sunday, February 22, 2009

Beef - It's whats for dinner

Let's me state something for the record. I love meat. It's a pretty safe bet that the man who starts a blog with a post about bacon is a carnivore. But as much as I love pork, and lamb, and chicken, I love beef best of all. I grew up on a beef farm. We raised Charolais cattle. We ate a ton of red meat, all of it raised on the farm. We two huge freezers in the basement, one filled with frozen vegetables from the garden the other with a full or half side of beef from a steer from our own pasture.

When I moved away from my ancestral home land (Harford County, Maryland) I made do with what I could pick up from the grocery store. In the 'lean years' of unemployment and low pay I ate beef infrequently and mostly in burger form. As my life has improved and I had the space for a couple of grills I have again become a devote of Steak. I like my local Kroger, and have had some very tasty meat from there, but sometimes wonder about where the meat comes from. Do the animals have plenty of room? Are they humanly raised? Are they shot up with hormones and steroids?

Luckily for me I have connections. Family connections. My Uncle and Cousins (the Sayre clan) and another local farmer I have known literally all my life, have a commercial beef operation. So when I head back up to Harford County, I pack a cooler and bring back a bunch of steaks from Deer Creek Beef. I can't recommend this enough. For evidence of the superior quality of home raised beef I proffer the following:


London Broil. Cooked at high heat for 6 minutes a side. Let sit for 10 minutes to let the juices settle. Slice thin at an angle. Serve with a roasted sweet potato, green salad, and a bottle of red wine (a Pinot Noir in the picture). Enjoy.

See the full Deer Creek Beef product list and prices here. Give my cousin Nancy Ann a call and put an order in. You won't regret it.

13 comments:

  1. When I read this I thought of growing up and eating steak every Sat night. My father too, said, once he could afford something other than ground beef, he was going to buy it. Thus we had steak every Sat night without fail, nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to order from them for the Beach trip this year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up I never know that people did not eat steak very often because it was expensive. I thought everyone ate it as much as we did. Not until I was an adult did I realize that we ate it a lot because we had beef cows :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Topic: What is yer favorite cut of beef?
    Talk amongst yourselves and then discuss!!!!!!

    Mine happens to be a nice thick Porterhouse. You can keep yer Filet Mignons and such, I likes to gnaw on a bone, chew the fat as is were.
    But for economy - I'd go with the London Broil also!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steak sandwiches for dinner with the leftovers...yum

    Flat iron steaks are my current fav.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gimme a 14oz Butt Steak

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hold the A1 please

    ReplyDelete
  9. Larks tongue in aspic...yum

    ReplyDelete
  10. How 'bout a nice grilled Ribeye, Aye, aye!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Throw some cubes in a pot and add some veggies and a bottle of red...simmer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do NOT let your meatloaf

    ReplyDelete
  13. A stir fry with lots of steak, peppers, onions and sesame seeds - hint of garlic and ginger

    ReplyDelete