Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Nothing Rhymes with Frittata *

So I realize the sweet irony of this post. I lure you here with Bacon Explosion and a HUGE London Broil...then I change course to a vegetarian dish. To be fair it has potatoes and cheese - two of the manly food groups (the others being meat and booze). Also it is Ash Wednesday - the first day of Lent. This means 40 days of meatless Friday night dinners for me and mine.

I took this opportunity to try something new. I have been meaning to make Frittatas for years now, but have never quite gotten around to it. Are they"too close to a omelet?" or is it "Too close to a quiche?"

So I did what I usually do when I want to try something new, I find two or three of the best looking recipes off of the interweb and then I mash them together. Sometimes this ends up in a spectacular dish and sometimes in grand failure. Today turned out pretty well.

I took the basic recipe from here. Then I tweaked it a bit. When I say tweak, I mean that I forgot to add the milk, and put mainly parmesan cheese instead of cheddar. Taking a cue from other recipes on the net I finished it off in the oven under the broiler for 3 minutes. This gave it a nice firm top and texture. If there is anything I would change for next time it would be for me to be better prepared.

The dish does not take all that long to make, but I had been lollygagging around the house until the desperate cries of hunger from my Bride drove me back into the kitchen. I did a rush job and got a little flustered towards the end when I realized that getting the eggs and cheese ready ahead of time may have been a good idea. In my defense I was lollygagging because I was tired, tired from also making rustic white bread, a recipe tweaked from the wonderful Smitten Kitchen. And when I say tweaked, I mean that I forgot half the salt and did not let it rise long enough, and forgot to set a timer for the bake time.

So will I make Fritattas again? You bet. I'll just give myself a little extra time to do it.

*I tried to think of a clever title for this post, but alas nothing rhymes with Frittata.

10 comments:

  1. The bread and frittata were delicious. I am looking forward to meatless Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMM that looks good. I have never made one but always wanted to. I think I will now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Coleman!! Nice new blog! That looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good. Served with wine or beer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meatless is ok sometimes, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I had a glass of whiskey. Shocking I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you know who makes a good fritata? patricia astruc, thats who. get her recipe, double the salt, and you cant go wrong. the perfect rainy winter afternoon food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, somethin for the vegetarians after all! Well, the whiskey's enough to tide me over anyway.

    By the way, I've got a word that rhymes with frittata and is food related:

    ciabatta.

    Bam. Where's my Pulitzer?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No blog post this weekend??????

    http://sprucehill.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time for frittata again.

    ReplyDelete